martes, 28 de diciembre de 2010
Berlusconi Attacker Apologizes for "Cowardly and Rash Act"
Massimo Tartaglia , 42, the man that struck against Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi, is arrested at Duomo place in Milan, Italy, 13 December 2009. Photo by EPA/BGNES
An Italian man who broke Silvio Berlusconi's nose and teeth by striking him with a souvenir model has apologized to the Italian prime minister for his "cowardly and rash act," the attacker's lawyers said, as cited by BBC.
Massimo Tartaglia, 42, who has a history of mental illness, acted alone and without any political or militant interests at heart, his lawyers said in a brief statement released late on Monday.
In a letter sent to Berlusconi, Tartaglia expressed his "heartfelt regret for a superficial, cowardly and rash act in which he did not recognize himself," the statement said.
Meanwhile Italy's interior minister, Roberto Maroni, said the attack on the Italian Prime Minister on Sunday was premeditated.
Maroni said the suspect, named as Massimo Tartaglia, had been "developing a rage" against the PM "for some time".
Berlusconi, 73, suffered a broken nose, cuts and two broken teeth after being hit with a model of Milan cathedral after a rally in the city.
He is to leave hospital on Wednesday with orders to rest, his doctor said.